Sunday, May 31, 2009

From 2/17/07

And I Love Her
I wonder if The Beatles knew they were writing the most beautiful rhumba dance tune ever heard. When I was taking ballroom dancing several years ago the teachers put on a melody that everyone knew and we all started dancing. The tune was "And I Love Her"
I give her all my loveThat’s all I doAnd if you saw my loveYou’d love her tooI love herShe gives me ev’rythingAnd tenderlyThe kiss my lover bringsShe brings to meAnd I love herA love like oursCould never dieAs long as IHave you near meBright are the stars that shineDark is the skyI know this love of mineWill never dieAnd I love herBright are the stars that shineDark is the skyI know this love of mineWill never dieAnd I love her
I guess what got me on this was sitting around on a lazy Sunday afternoon knowing that I had chores to do, but I had my feet up listening to my ipod when the tune came on. It is one of those tunes that causes your mind to immediately harken to the past and remember when things were simpler. Most of us who remember this tune were either in high school or college at the time.
Just where does the time go? Lost loves, friends that we have no idea where they are, jobs come and go, missed opportunities, paths taken that have brought us to where we are now.
I think that we all look for "a love that will never die". Maybe we had it in the past and did not know it. Or maybe it was that love of 30 years ago that for what ever reason could not happen.
Anyway back to the tune. I have been able to find the original by the Beatles, and versions by Santo & Johnny, Jose Felciano, George Martins Orchestra, Hawaiian Guitars, Mexican guitars, and Julie London.
If anyone has a different version I would like to hear it.

No comments: